Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And so begins the task..


42mm, Mr Goat? Nowhere near.
62mm, David? Getting better..
130mm, Ian? Very close, but since I told you the answer it doesn't qualify as a guess. (And anyway, you've had a ride in the Beast already!)

The worst dimension is 132mm, just over 5" in old money. This is the vertical outage on the front left chassis rail. If you combine this with 65mm lateral outage and 23mm longitudinal outage, it's actually 149mm away from where it should be!
So, since I don't allow anonymous people in my car, I pronounce David the winner. Now, if only I knew which David that was...but don't worry, I have plenty of time to find out - the car won't be doing passsenger rides any time soon!

Polimar have confirmed that they can re-align the chassis to 'factory spec' and repair the bodywork, but they need the engine out first. So the Beast is back at A2B, where they will pull out the engine and gearbox complete. (The gears were becoming increasingly hard to engage as the DC progressed, so we need to find out what's going on inside the bell-housing anyway.) Once that's done, I can trailer it back to Polimar for them to work their magic. Then it will be back to A2B for a long list of mechanical jobs.

I've ended up with almost 10 hours of high-quality in-car video from the DC. Now I need to view it all and find the interesting bits, and hopefully have it edited into something watchable!

No comments: