Thursday, November 24, 2011

Greetings from Doha!



Finally, plan B came good. Thanks to Ravi (who has connections there) the passport escaped from the Saudi Embassy on Tuesday evening, and Wednesday morning at 0815hrs I was on my way with the race car on the trailer. Had a close shave at the Abu Dhabi border when they demanded a Certificate of Tourism for the race car – I’d only got one for the road car. But they relented and by 1330hrs I was in Saudi, and 125km later I was exiting Saudi for Qatar. At 1530hrs, 100m from the Qatar Motorsports Federation (QMMF) office, a taxi overtook me, with some familiar faces waving. Unbelievably, Sheila and Richard had managed to arrive by plane and taxi at the exact same time as me!

Major thanks are due to Ian and Maxine Cooper, who have kindly put the three of us up for the duration, conveniently close to QMMF. Ian will join Richard at Sealine on Saturday for the main event.

Documentation is sorted, the car passed scrutineering this morning with flying colours, and tomorrow we need to be at Parc Ferme in Sealine before noon, for a prologue starting at 1300hrs.

Richard has been busy tidying and tightening various things, and we’ve picked up a few points which need attention before our next outing. But the Beast seems in good fettle, we’ve done all we can so let’s see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: